Sunday 18 April 2010

Diary Entry Three

Diary Entry Three
30/03/10

Hello!

Day Two and I'm expected to start at 9:00 am. I managed to catch the 07:08 train W-S-M to Bristol Temple Meads to change over and board the 07:40 to Bath Spa Station. Unfortunately I arrived at the office at 8:00 am and hour early when the office doesn't open at 9:00 am. 

To pass the time I went and got a cup of tea at a nearby cafe. I went back to the office at 8:50 am where Ben Ridolfi (the company's film editor) let me in. 



At 9:30 am went out filming with Ben and Sara to Beechen Cliff School Bath. I was operating the boom mic. 

I used what Chris had taught me yesterday of what to think about and observe on where the direction of sound is coming from. This made a massive difference on my role on the shoot as it made me confident in operating this task which looked professional. 

The only area that let me down was the lack of coordination and control of my XLR Leads which lead me tangling myself up with Ben Ridolfi on camera



Sara gave some help by showing me a technique of coiling the leads around my arm to help me keep it all under control. 

This helped alot as it caused less disruption but as easy as it all sounds it was still difficult as the leads kept falling down my arm. 

Another problem I was having was that my arms were beginning to get tired after a long period of time. Sara then showed the correct technique of holding the boom so it's easier to hold and to swivel to catch the direction of sound of where the source comes from. 

This is definitely a technique I will use when I next operate the boom mic. 

We arrived back to the office at 4:00 pm. 

I finished my shift at 5:30 pm. 

No comments: